September 18, 2006

sand gets in your eyes, Jul 2, 2006







Chapter 3 -

I've been in the desert for 5 days now. I think. Loosing track of time.

The shooting has been hectic, but it ends at sunset everyday. I've picked up a tan you could call "well done" - something like the mutton chops I ate last night.

I would hazard a guess that there are exactly 10,803 particles per cubic metre of air, of mica or silica or whatever that shiny stuff is that whirrs around everytime the sand kicks up. We are inhaling it, eating it, absorbing it in our skin, and blinking it out of our eyes all day. It's yummy.

I can say in all modesty that I have taken some stunning landscapes of the dunes already. I came home one night and cropped and downsized one image - that's it - no corrections - it is so nice I made it into my laptop's desktop image - hey - that's an oxymoron.

The weather has been hovering at about 30 deg C, with a cool breeze the last 2 days. I wouldn't mind if it became colder for a bit.

Today after we finished, I walked alone towards the town and asked for the bus to pick me up when they caught up - it was so lovely to walk along the gravel road with the twilight sky burning off on one side, and Hendrix singing gladly in my i-pod. I couldn't have walked much more than a kilometre, but it was serene. I was missing all of you.

Chapter 4 -

Two nights back a whole bunch of us went out at night to TigerReef - a shack bar by the beach - much frequented by Angelina and Brad not many weeks back. The shack is nice, but nothing extraordinary - what is great is the location - it is at a beach head with the cold Atlantic on three sides. Half an hour after that the moon which had been doing a bright shining number decided to turn almost blood red and drop into the horizon. It was unreal. A crimson-pink crescent sinking in slowmotion into a black sea. I had another beer, we sat around the bonfire and chatted with some of the locals.

Last night after my mutton chops I caught a bit of the match at the local pub then trundled across the road to the Swakop Lodge - played a game of pool, won, analysed the ethnic gene pools in the predomonantly white - mostly German and Afrikaans - gathering in the room.(aka - checked out the chicks)

Well, that's it for now folks,

Hopefully I will have some exciting news for you in a few days.

Ciao for now,

Adil